Democratic leadership it is also known as participative leadership. In this process, every member of an organization or association can take part to select their leader. This is the best process to select a leader.
But still there is some problem in democratic leadership so, here we discuss some major advantages and disadvantages of democratic leadership below:
Advantages of Democratic Leadership
Democratic leaders enjoys following advantages:
- Participation in decision making: Workers or subordinates are consulted or participate in the decision-making process hence feel satisfied.
- Increase production: ¬†Workers are aware of what is happening in the organization and thus they take interest in producing more and more.
- Utilization of capabilities: Subordinates get the full opportunity to utilize their capabilities.
Disadvantages of Democratic Leadership
Power is not centralized so, the leader suffers from the following drawback.
- Delay in decision making: Decisions making and implementation are delayed as compared to, autocratic leadership because under this style more than one person are involved in decision-making process.
- Less competent: As authority is decentralized, less competent executives cannot be used.
Related Content of Organizational Power:
- What is the Meaning of Organizational Power?
- Two Faces of Power Proposed by David McClelland
- Theories of Organizational Power
- Tactical Dimensions or Strategies of Power
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Autocratic Leadership
- What is the Definition of Authority?
- What are the Characteristics of Authority?
- Difference between Power, Authority, and Influence
- Difference between Power and Authority
- The Elements of Power
- Importance of Power in an Organization
- Sources of Power in an Organization
- Forms of Power in an Organization
- Measurement of Power in an Organization
- Disadvantages of Individual Power
- Impact of Power on Others
- Unequal Power in a Team