There are some components of organization development (OD) programs. These components focus on various areas of OD operations. The following 11(eleven) components of organization development process have been taken from French Bell’s book Organization Development.
Components of organization development process
1. Long-term effort: It means that organization change and development take time. It is more accurate to describe improvement as a never-ending of continuous change.
2. Led and supported by top management: Top management must lead and actively encourages the change effort. Top management must initiate the improvement journey and be committed to seeing it through.
3. Visioning process: Through this process organization members develop a viable, coherent, and shared pictures of the nature of the product and services the organization offered.
4. Empowerment process: It means that leadership behavior and human resource practices that enable organization members to develop and use their talents as fully as possible.
5. Learning process: It means those interacting, listening, and self-examining process that facilitates individual, team, and organizational learning.
6. Problem-solving process: It refers to the ways organization members diagnose the situation, solve problems, make decisions, and take actions on problems, opportunities, and challenges in the organization’s environment and its internal functioning.
7. By ongoing collaborative management: One of the most important things to manage in organizations is the culture. The prevailing pattern of the values, attitudes, beliefs, assumptions, activities, norms, and artifacts affect organization activates.
8. Liberation Management: Liberation management is that contemporary bureaucratic structures with their functional specialties and rigid hierarchies are all wrong for the demands of today’s fast-paced marketplace.
9. Using the consultant-facilitators role: It conveys our beliefs that leaders can benefit from seeking professional assistance in planning and implementing OD initiatives.
10. Action research: It means the participative model of collaborative and iterative diagnosis and taking action in which the leader, organization members, and OD practitioners work together to defined and resolve problems and opportunities.
11. By intact work teams and other configurations: It recognizes that teams can contribute to accomplishing works in organizations. The most prevalent forms of teams in organizations are intact work teams consisting of superiors and subordinates with a specific job to perform.
The above components are supposed to be present among the parties to OD programs. Some of the components may not sometimes be present during the programs.
But every organization should try to demonstrate most of the components while undertaking the OD program and implementing the same.
Related Content of Organizational Development:
- What is Organizational Development?
- Nature of Organization Development
- Objectives of Organization Development
- Importance of Organization Development
- Characteristics of Organization Development
- Principles of Organization Development
- Role of Management for Organizational Development
- Tips for Organization Development
- Organization Development Process
- Functions of Organization Development
- Components of Organization Development Process
- Difference between Organization Development and Management Development
- Variables in Organizational development Approach
- Assumptions of Organization Development