The microprocessor is an electronic device. It is the heart and brain inside every microcomputer. There are lots of functionality of microprocessor, here we mention six major functions of a microprocessor.
This tiny chip of silicon determines the speed and power of the entire computer by handling most, if not all, of the processing of a microcomputer.
This can be explored by using a flow diagram as shown in figure. Functions of a microprocessor can be summarized as follows:
Functions of a microprocessor
- The processor first fetches and instruction from the main memory.
- The instruction is then decoded to determine what action is required to be done.
- Based on instruction the processor fetches, if required, data from main memory or I/O module.
- The instruction is then executed which may require performing arithmetic or logical operations on data.
- In addition to execution, CPU also supervises and controls/I/O devices. If there is any request from I/O devices, called interrupt, the CPU suspends execution of the current programs and transfers control to an interrupt handling program.
- Finally, the results of an execution may required transfer of data to memory or an I/O Module.
You May Like Also:
- Chronological Events of Microprocessor (1971-2000)
- Classification of Microprocessor based on Characteristics
- Major difference between RISC and CISC Microprocessors