The microprocessor is an electronic device. It is the heart and brain inside every microcomputer. There are lots of functionality of microprocessor, here we mention six major functions of a microprocessor.
This tiny chip of silicon determines the speed and power of the entire computer by handling most, if not all, of the processing of a microcomputer.
This can be explored by using a flow diagram as shown in the figure. Functions of a microprocessor can be summarized as follows:
Functions of a microprocessor
1. The processor first fetches and instruction from the main memory.
2. The instruction is then decoded to determine what action is required to be done.
3. Based on instruction the processor fetch, if required, data from the main memory or I/O module.
4. The instruction is then executed which may require performing arithmetic or logical operations on data.
5. In addition to execution, CPU also supervises and controls/I/O devices. If there is any request from I/O devices, called interrupt, the CPU suspends execution of the current programs and transfers control to an interrupt handling program.
6. Finally, the results of execution may require the transfer of data to memory or an I/O Module.
You May Like Also: