The skin condition is commonly talked in terms of the complexion and texture. Complexion is the visual assessment of our skin colour, tone and clarity. The skin texture describes the appeal of our skin to touch.
Together, complexion and texture reflect the apparent character and the general health of the skin. Some factors affecting skin complexion and texture are discussed below:
Factors affecting skin complexion and texture
Different skin types have different complexions and textures. Genes and age are the two unalterable determinants responsible for the difference in the skin type among-st people.
Extreme weather conditions wrong skin care, use of improper cosmetics and certain skin maladies such as acne and pigmentation also change the skin maladies such as acne and pigmentation also change the skin’s colour, tone and texture adversely.
The “unalterable” genetic and age factors
Let’s first understand what is meant by unalterable in order to understand the role of the two factors. Genetic factor is an immutable, changeless identity code which we are born with. Age is an irreversible process of nature.
Each individual is different from the others. The differences in the facial features, body structure, skin type, complexion and texture are due to the different genetic codes inherited by the individuals.
Research reveals that people belonging to different races are generically endowed with different numbers of oil glands, sweat glands, hair and other skin variations. This can logically help us to understand how the skin type, colour and tone differences occur among-st people.
With age, we find that skin loses its qualitative appeal. The skin texture becomes thin, dry and loose. The cell renewal process diminishes with age.
Other factors affecting skin complexion and texture
The changers in our skin complexion and texture that occur with age are by nature, but the more damaging and serous complexion complications can occur due to wrong nurture. Some of the factors are:
Improper Skin Care
- Improper cleansing of oily skin results in the darkening of the complexion and engenders blemish-causing acne.
- The texture of the oily skin worsens if the enlarged pores are not arrested with proper steaming and toning.
- Moisturizing and nourishing are the most important aspects of dry skin care. If it is not carried out properly, the texture turns extremely dry and flaky and the complexion looks dull and pallid.
Use of wrong cosmetics
- Application of creamy, oil-rich beauty soaps and oil-based chemical make-up products adversely affect the condition of oily skin. The complexion turns sallow yellow and the texture becomes severely thick and greasy.
- Some fairness creams contain mercury drug preparations. They are photosensitive and cause patchy discoloration of the skin in the sun.
- Dry skin treated with medicated or strong soaps loses all its radiance. The texture may feel rough and taut.
Excessive sun and tan darkens the skin complexion and colour. It can also dry up the skin of its fluid, thereby affecting the finesse of the texture. Certain medications like birth control pills, blood pressure drugs react unfavorably in sun, causing pigmentation or red irritation spots.
Severe and moderate acne leaves blemishes and temporary dark spots which clear up with time. If the pimples and pustules are picked and squeezed, it causes indentations and small pits on the skin surface. The texture no longer remains smooth.
Apart from blemishes, skin irritations, redness and chapping occur in skin disorders of eczema and allergies.
Anemia and poor Blood circulation
Dark circles under the eyes, paleness and loss of tone are common skin irregularities which bother women suffering from anemia and other circulatory disorders.
You may like also:
- How to cope with aging
- Herbal Beauty Tips for Hair, Face, Hands and Feet
- Best Natural Body Skin Care Tips
- How to Keep your Skin Healthy?
- How to Take Care of your Face Skin Naturally?
- Banana’s Pack to Increase Face Brightness
- Seasonal Skin Care
- Home-Made Cosmetics for Skin Care
- Skin Care Advice Depends on Your Age
- Some Major Causes of Aging of Skin