A green-flecked, flavorful bread loaded with many good things. It is hearty and healthful-an ideal companion to vegetarian meals.
You can use other chopped cooked vegetables instead of spinach, and vary the cheese as well. This bread does not keep, so wrap and freeze what you will not use within a day.
Elements of Vegetable Nut Bread
- 1 cup (5 oz/155g) whole-wheat (whole meal) flour
- 1 cup (5 oz/155 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (3 ½ oz/105 g) chopped cooked spinach, thoroughly drained
- ½ cup (2 oz/60 g) chopped toasted walnuts or almonds
- ½ cup (2 oz60 g) freshly grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese
Preheat an oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Grease and flour a medium (8 1/2 –inch/21-cm) loaf pan.
In a large bowl stir and toss together the whole-wheat flour, all–purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, honey, oil and egg. Stir in the spinach, nuts and cheese. Add to the combined dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Spread evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until a thin wooden skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 medium loaf
Other Content of Bread Recipe:
- Some important quick bread basics tips
- Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- Oat Flour Bread Recipe and it’s elements
- How to Prepare Pistachio Olive Bread?
- Whole Wheat Walnut Bread Recipe
- Nine Grain Bread Recipe
- How to make a delicious Fruit Bread?
- Patsy’s Honey Nut Bread Recipe
- A Delicious Lemon Bread Recipe