The techniques for measuring productivity in the workplace are as varied as the industries in which measurements are talking place. Traditional techniques were developed to measure assembly line Productivity:
These measures are based on tracking output in units or dollars per inputs, usually in the form of human hour spent working oil the relevant task. These figures are still used many Productivity oriented firms today.
Measuring productivity in the workplace
In the service and professional areas, traditional productivity measures have fallen. It is difficult; it is not possible to measures-some types of activities, which respect to output per input.
When the traditional measures are used in non-production areas, great Productivity numbers may not result in good outcomes. One example of this was found at Motorola.
Recruiters for Motorola were assigned to goal of spending less per hire each year as measures of productivity. Each year Productivity rose. Things should have been good, but they were not.
The quality the new hires began to decrease. Obviously, if you spend only a few dollars to select employees, the new hires selected may not be qualified or effective workers. By cutting cost in this way, the thoroughness of screening process will deteriorate.
To solve this problem, Motorola changed its policy. It now measures recruitment productivity by how well its recruits do at Motorola after being hired.
For example recruiters are measures oil items such as how will qualified the person was for the job and whether the salary was determined.
You May Like Also:
- Definition of Productivity
- 17 Benefits of High Productivity
- 10 major causes of low productivity
- Relationship between training and productivity
- How technology increases productivity
- Role of Society for Increasing Productivity
- Role of Government to Increase Productivity
- Role of Trade Union Leaders for Increasing Productivity
- 10 Management techniques to improve productivity
- 12 Factors affecting productivity in an organization
- Motivational tools for employees to improve productivity
- Role of Family Members & Religious Leaders in Improving productivity
- Existing Productivity Level in the Public Industries Sector in Bangladesh
- Reasons of low productivity in private organization in Bangladesh
- Means of Maintaining Productivity Level in Public Organizations Bangladesh