Packed with heart-healthy fiber, this recipe also features garlic, which has sulfur compounds that may lower blood pressure and cholesterol. There’s even some evidence garlic may reverse existing cholesterol buildup. Let’s see the mediterranean penne and beans recipe
- 8 oz whole wheat penne
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red-pepper flakes
- 1 bunch (1 lb) broccoli rabe, tough stem ends trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 bunch (1/2 lb) beet greens, steam trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 can (15 oz) no-salt added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- PREPARE pasta per package directions, omitting salt. Reserve ¼ cup of paste cooking water and drain.
- HEAT oil in large deep skillet over medium heat while pasta cooks. Add onion and carrot and cook, string, until onion Softens and begins to brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in Garlic and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- ADD half the greens and ½ cup water. Increase heat to medium-high, cover, and cook until greens wilt, and 2 minutes. Stir in remaining greens, Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until greens are tender, about 10 minutes.
- STIR in beans. Cover and cook until beans are hot, 2 minutes. Stir in pasta and reserved pasta cooking water. Cook, stirring, until pasta is heated through, 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 2 Tbsp of the cheese. Serve sprinkled with remaining 1 Tbsp cheese.
NUTRITION (per serving) 413 cal, 20 g fiber, 7.5 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 310 mg sodium
You may like also