Oat flour is simply whole oats ground to a powder, and it is even sometimes labeled “oatmeal flour.” It lends this bread the subtle taste of oatmeal, as well as a sturdy, chewy character.
The loaf is crumbly when warm, and will cut more easily at room temperature. A piece of this bread and some fruit are a wonderful way to begin the day; for a special breakfast, I like this toasted and spread with apple source or pear preserves.
Elements of oat flour bread recipe:
- 1 cup (5 oz/155 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 cup (4 oz/125 g) oat flour
- ¼ cup (2 oz/60 g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (1 ½ oz/45 g) raisins
- ¼ cup (1 oz/30 g) chopped walnuts or almonds
Preheat an oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Grease and flour a medium (8 1/2 –inch/21-cm) loaf pan.
In a medium bowl stir and toss together the all-purpose flour, oat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg and olive oil until smooth. Stir in the raisins and nuts. Add to the combined dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Spread evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until a thin wooden skewer inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 medium loaf
Other Content of Bread Recipe:
- Some important quick bread basics tips
- Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- How to Prepare Pistachio Olive Bread?
- How to Prepare Vegetable Nut Bread?
- Whole Wheat Walnut Bread Recipe
- Nine Grain Bread Recipe
- How to make a delicious Fruit Bread?
- Patsy’s Honey Nut Bread Recipe
- A Delicious Lemon Bread Recipe