Bulgur is cracked wheat, and although the bits are quite hard and crunchy, soaking them briefly softens them. It adds a unique character and flavor to this whole-wheat loaf.
This bread will keep for several days and is especially good served with a platter of sliced tomatoes, dressed with olive oil and lemon and garnished with feta cheese.
Round out the menu with some tomato-basil butter it’s good on crackers, too-and you will have on outstanding summertime luncheon.
Elements of Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- ½ cup (3 oz/90g) bulgur
- ¾ cup (6fl oz/180ml) water, boiling
- 1 ½ cups (7 ½ oz/235 g) whole-wheat (whole meal) flour
- ½ cup (2 ½ oz/75 g) all- purpose (plain) flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (2 oz/60 g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups (12 fl oz/375 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (3 oz/80 g) vegetable shortening, melted
- ½ cup (2oz/60 g), chopped toasted pecans
In a small bowl stir together the bulgur and boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes, then fluff the grains with a fork.
Meanwhile, preheat an oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease and flour a large (9-inch/23-cm) loaf pan.
In a medium bowl stir and toss together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Set aside. In another medium bowl whisk together the milk, eggs and melted shortening until smooth. Stir in the bulgur and pecans. Add to the combined dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Spread evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until a thin wooden skewer inserted it the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 large loaf
Other Content of Bread Recipe:
- Some important quick bread basics tips
- Oat Flour Bread Recipe and it’s elements
- How to Prepare Pistachio Olive Bread?
- How to Prepare Vegetable Nut Bread?
- Whole Wheat Walnut Bread Recipe
- Nine Grain Bread Recipe
- How to make a delicious Fruit Bread?
- Patsy’s Honey Nut Bread Recipe
- A Delicious Lemon Bread Recipe