The main characteristics of bank mortgage can be put as follows:
Table of Contents
Characteristics of bank mortgage
1. Immovable properties
Mortgage relates to immovable properties. Properties mortgaged should be specified by the mortgagee in the mortgage deed. Such specifications can be done by mentioning the name, location, or size of the property.
2. Transfers some rights of ownership to the mortgagee
A mortgage is the transfer of an interest in a specific immovable property. Transfer of an interest in the property means that the owner transfers some of the rights of ownership to the mortgagee and retains the remaining rights with himself but he cannot sell the mortgaged property without the consent of the mortgagee.
3. Every co-owner is entitled to a mortgage
If there is more than one co-owner of immovable property, every co-owner is entitled to mortgage his share in the property.
4. Mortgage secure a loan
The object of the transfer of an interest in the property must be to secure a loan or ensure the performance of an engagement that results in monetary obligation.
Thus, the property may be mortgaged to provide security to the creditor in respect of the loans already taken by the mortgagor or in respect of the loans which he intends to take in the future. An existing overdraft can also be secured by a mortgage of the property.
But if a person transfers his property for a purpose other than the above, it will not be called a mortgage, e.g., a transfer of property in discharge of a debt is not a mortgage.
5. Transferred to the mortgagee
Actual possession of the property need not always be transferred to the mortgagee.
6. Protected by Atc
The mortgagee gets, subject to the terms of the mortgage deed and the provisions of the Transfer of Property Act, 1882, the right to recover the amount of the loan out of the sale proceeds of the mortgaged property.
7. Property is re-conveyed to the mortgagor
The interest in the mortgaged property is re-conveyed to the mortgagor on the repayment of the amount of the loan with interest thereon.
You May Like Also:
- Bank Mortgages Definition
- Rights of a Mortgagee
- Rights of a Mortgagor
- Detailed Discussion about Hypothecation Mortgage
- Detailed Discussion about Pledge Mortgage
- Procedure for Equitable Mortgage
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Equitable Mortgage
- Different Types of Mortgages for Bank Loan
- What is Second Mortgage for Bank Loan?
- What is Sub-mortgage for Bank Loan?