Managing a small business will differ in each of the three stages. Such human involvement in different stages of small business are as follows:
First Stage: One person’s operation, where the owner does all the activities. It is the simplest of all the forms- the owner himself if acting as both the manager and the worker. Here lies no employer-employee problem.
It is the owner who does everything there is no problem of communication &payment of benefits, hence no question of motivation arises.
Figure showing One Person Operation in Small Business
Second Stage: Separation of management and mm-management functions; hired subordinates to do some of the manuals and/or mental activities while o wren manages.
Here, there is a need to manage one/ two subordinates. The problem of offering benefits, that of motivation, the need for communication remains though in a simple manner.
Figure showing the Owner and One or Two Assistants in the Small Business Operation
Third Stage: Ownership and management function Separation; owner start to relinquish the duties for the day to day running of the business activities to a professional manager.
Figure showing the Owner, Manager) and Some Assistants or Workers
In the first stage, there is no problem with management as the owner does everything himself. He is supposed to take all the decisions for the best interest of the business. In the second stage owner is also the manager but .nore than one worker and employees need to be managed.
Here also managing the subordinates is not very difficult since the size is seemingly smaller. In the third stage where there is the separation of management from owners & workers, there appears the necessity of plan, instructions, control, coordination, motivation, etc that speak of the style of traditional management.
You may like also:
- Why do small businesses fail
- How to start a small business
- Selection of Line of Activity for Small Business
- Factors to consider when buying a small business
- Considerations of location selection for small business
- How to do accounting for a small business
- Budgeting for small business
- Essential data of internal controls for small business
- Importance of Inventory Management for small business
- How to increase profit in a small business
- How to computerize a small business
- Advantages and disadvantages of using a computer in small business
- All about Small Business Risk Management strategy
- All about Small Business Production