There are a few tips for successful performance review program. For the successful completion of these tips, a performance review program may come to an end. These tips for performance appraisal are mentioned below:
Tips for performance appraisal
- Fair notice: Give the employee fair notice about when there is to take place
- Proper evaluation: Ask the employee to think about and evaluate his or her own performance prior to the review session.
- Examine Information: Prepare for the review by examining information available about the employee’s performance. Seek additional information if needed.
- Positive beginning: Begin the session on a positive tone to set the employee at ease and make him or her receptive to the performance review process.
- Explain the format: Explain the format of the performance review session.
- Awareness: Make the employee aware of the uses of the performance appraisal results (e.g. training and development, salary decisions, promotion decisions).
- Second meeting: If needed, set a second meeting to discuss non-performance related issues such as the salary increase, future goals, or developmental suggestion.
- Participation: Encourage the employee to participate, especially when he or her appraisal differs from yours.
- Review the standard: Review the standard to which the employee wee be compared to remind him or her that the process is not complete! subjective.
- Praise: An organization should ensure the praise to an employee for his achievement and take necessary steps.
- Highlight weak areas: you should highlight weak areas first and then you can take attempt to resolve it.
- Performance improvement: Find out the weak area of an employee and discuss the ways of improving performance. And it will increase the confidence of an employee.
- Understandable: Make sure that the employee fully understands appraisal.
- Positive note: End the discussion on a positive note. Even in case the negative result of performance appraisal.
Followed, the manager becomes a counselor instead of an evaluator. This type review session appears to be more useful and enjoyable for both the evaluator the employee.
You May Like Also:
- Definition of Performance Appraisal
- Challenges of performance appraisal
- 7 Criteria for Performance Appraisal
- Various methods of performance appraisal
- Responsible Person to Conduct Performance Appraisal
- Difference between formal and informal performance appraisal