The above discussion may reveal the following features of grapevine:
1. Capacity: It has a tremendous capacity to carry information good or bad, to the organization or to the people.
2. Fast moving: It moves fastly. Being flexible and personal, it spreads information faster than the most formal communication system.
3. Ability to penetrate: It has an unusual ability to penetrate even the tightest company security because of its capacity to cut across organizational lines and dealing directly with the person concerned. It is a source of much more information than management wants to release.
4. Influence: Grapevine is influential either positively or negatively but nothing can be said certain whether its net effect is positive or negative because its effects may vary among different workgroups, and organization.
5. Need adjustment: It cannot be done away with irrespective of its positive: or negative effects so management must adjust to it. The management, therefore, should know who its leader is, how it operates, and what information it carries. Managers should listen to their leaders and study their emotions.
Related content of Informal Organization:
- Nature of Informal Organization
- Advantages of Informal Organization
- Difference between Formal and Informal Organization
- Barriers to Informal Organization
- How to Overcome Barriers of Informal Organization?
- What is the Meaning of Grapevine?
- Basic Grapevine Pattern of Organization
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Grapevine in an Organization
- What does mean by Rumor in Organizations?
- How to Control Rumor in Organizations?