Obviously organization development (OD) might have some advantages but I think some people may be thinking that are there really any disadvantages of organization development.
So, here we provide a detail article abut advantages and disadvantages of organization development below:
Advantages of Organization Development
Organization development has some advantages. An organization can enjoy these advantages by resorting to all steps of OD systematically and scientifically. These advantages are as follows:
- Change throughout organization: Development activates are undertaken throughout the whole organization.
- Greater motivation: After undertaking and completing OD program, managers and employees feels motivated to work with joy.
- Increased productivity: OD increases productivity. Because employees can work with new method and machines.
- Better quality of work: Quality work, goods & services through successful OD program can be ensured.
- Higher job satisfaction: Mangers and employees became satisfied with changed things and more facilities.
- Improved Teamwork: Employees get team spirit and teamwork may be encouraged as they become satisfied and motivated with top management.
- Better resolution of conflict: After getting the organization developed, managers and employees mentalities also get developed and broadened. Thus they can resolve conflict easily.
- Commitment to objectives: Goal orientation and commitment are created among the employees. After getting everything developed they don’t get any scope of showing negligence.
- Increased willingness to change: OD program creates the awareness to accept change without resistance. If the managers and employees are convinced they become willing to any change to be executed later.
- Reduced absences: Absenteeism is reduced and employees attend the office and works in time which leads to high productivity.
- Lower Turnover: Turnover is one of the problems of an organization through OD program employee turnover rate becomes lower.
- Creation of learning individuals and groups: With a number of development programs taken very often, individuals and groups learn many things. They become equipped to management development program in future.
Disadvantages of Organization Development
Organization Development program suffers some limitations also. Degree of these limitations may vary from one organization to another. However some limitations are discussed below:
- Major time requirements: OD programs take long time. Not only that for taking any action plan for OD, planners take much time.
- Substantial expenditure: It costs many. A lot of funds are required to execute to OD program. Sometimes organization cannot manage funds.
- Delayed pay off period: In some cases OD program is affected for delayed pay off period. That is why some organizations become reluctant.
- Possible failure: OD program may be failed due to some reasons. These failures are both human related and non-human related.
- Possible envision of privacy: Privacy of the organization may be leaked out though the OD program. Due to the involvement of irresponsible people it happens so.
- Possible psychological harm: Some psychological harm is experienced while taking OD program. Employees with strong psychology can protect it.
- Potential conformity: Due to potential conformity with and results of different actions, OD programs might create misunderstanding and confusion.
- Emphasis on group process: Very often emphasis is laid on group process. If the group does not mean so or take it seriously, and OD program is affected.
- Conceptual ambiguity: OD program concept, its operational possibility potential output etc. may not be clearly understood by some people who are involved with OD.
- Difficulty in evaluation: Evaluation of OD program does not take place properly. This can raise many objectives from some corners.
- Cultural incompatibility: If OD program does adjust with the existing culture, it can bring desired results.
These are some important limitations or disadvantages of OD program. Despite that, organization will have to undertake development program by avoiding possible limitations.
You May Like Also:
- Assumptions of Organization Development
- Difference between Organization Development and Management Development
- Components of Organization Development Process given by French Bell
- Functions of Organization Development
- 5 essential steps of organization development process
- 8 essential tips for organization development
- Principles of Organization Development
- 10 Characteristics of Organization Development
- Importance of Organization Development