If an individual gets some particular power by the managerial structure in that case there must have some certain disadvantages. Newman identifies the following disadvantages of individual power in managerial structure:
Disadvantages of individual power
1. The formal managerial structural hierarchy puts limitations on the use of power.
2. Favoring one person, naturally disfavoring others. It deprives them of their right. Then there is a dilemma before the individual whom to help. Here politics plays an important role in satisfying as many people as possible without seriously injuring anyone and it is an art how successful an individual can play politics.
3. Several persons are very active in any political game and in many situations, they tend to check one another that may not necessarily be in the interest of the organization.
4. The superordinate organizational power controls the subordinate’s power within the organization. In an organization, a department cannot develop by itself. There are certain rules and regulations and a department is allowed to develop along with such rules. For example, a production department cannot expand its activates towards selling the articles because this activate has been assigned to the sales department.
5. In our society, some people do not use their power exclusively for positive purposes. Sometimes they misuse the power. Thus they lose public support and the public depends upon other leaders and the former.
Thus these disadvantages restrict a person from being a superman in the organization.
Related Content of Organizational Power:
- What is the Meaning of Organizational Power?
- Two Faces of Power Proposed by David McClelland
- Theories of Organizational Power
- Tactical Dimensions or Strategies of Power
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Autocratic Leadership
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Democratic Leadership
- What is the Definition of Authority?
- What are the Characteristics of Authority?
- Difference between Power, Authority, and Influence
- Difference between Power and Authority
- The Elements of Power
- Importance of Power in an Organization
- Sources of Power in an Organization
- Forms of Power in an Organization
- Measurement of Power in an Organization
- Impact of Power on Others
- Unequal Power in a Team