Self-Management is the best management. If any team is self-managed, that can be an asset for the organization. A self-managed team may be defined as such a team that is constituted with some experienced, committed, skilled and disciplined people.
This team requires minimum supervision. Activities of team members need less monitoring because they work with their own responsibilities. They need not be directed or threatened.
Self-managed teams definition
Self-managed team members are highly committed to their work and responsibilities. They are natural workgroups that are given subsoil autonomy and in turn, are asked to control their own work and behavior as par desire of top management. They are also asked to produce significant results with the combination of empowerment and democracy they may be instructed to execute plans of the organization.
They show positive behaviors to each other. Having satisfaction with the activities of teams, top management gives them wide-ranging autonomy and work freedom. Thus they can act as managers. Typically self-managed team members earn a wide range of relevant skills and abilities.
This practice is called multi-skilling. As a result, team members can flexibility float from area to area and task to task, depending on where they are needed most. They can make joint decisions about work schedules, requirements, and work assignments. Considerable time may be spent conducting a meeting on company-related issues.
Self-managed teams may start by assuming responsibility for simple matters and turn to complex matters. Then they begin to manage their own absenteeism and turnover, select and appraise team members. The main coworker and engage in direct contact with key customers.
Related Content of Team Building:
- What is the Meaning of Group?
- Difference between Team and Group
- Importance of Team for an Organization
- What are the Purposes of Effective Team Building for an Organization?
- Conditions for Successful Teams
- Twelve Cs for Team Building
- Life Cycle of a Team
- Potential Team Problems that can Hinder Team Building and Running
- How to Build a Team for an Organization?
- Types of Teams in Organizations
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Self Managed Teams
- Difference between Traditional Structure and Self-managed Team Structure
- Gestalt Approach to Team Building
- Application of Gestalt Approach