“Autocratic leadership” the word make a negative impact when we hear. You can think this is unbelievable but autocratic leadership also has some advantages. So, here we describe some advantages and disadvantages of autocratic leadership which are mention below:
Advantages of Autocratic Leadership
Autocratic leadership enjoys following advantages:
- It provides strong motivation ad reward for the leader.
- Quick decision making is guaranteed because single person decides for the whole group.
- Less competent sub-managers can be used only to carry out the orders of the boss. They are not involved in decision making process.
- Decision making, planning or organizing need no initiative.
- Strict control and establishment of chain of command is possible.
- Most effective in organization where chain of command is crucial such as military, air force like organization.
Disadvantages of Autocratic Leadership
It suffers from the following drawbacks:
- People dislike it especially if it is extreme and the motivational style is negative.
- Frustration, low morale, and conflict develop easily in Autocratic leadership because subordinates feel that they work as they have to do so and because of any motivation. They work half heatedly.
- Mangers are poor motivators and employees hardly show creativity and judgment.
Related Content of Organizational Power:
- What is the Meaning of Organizational Power?
- Two Faces of Power Proposed by David McClelland
- Theories of Organizational Power
- Tactical Dimensions or Strategies of Power
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Autocratic Leadership
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Democratic Leadership
- What is the Definition of Authority?
- What are the Characteristics of Authority?
- What is the Definition of Influence?
- Difference between Power, Authority and Influence
- Difference between Power and Authority
- The Elements of Power
- Importance of Power in an Organization
- Sources of Power in an Organization
- Forms of Power in an Organization
- Measurement of Power in an Organization
- Disadvantages of Individual Power
- Impact of Power on Others
- Unequal Power in a Team