Self managed teams is most important for every kind of work but there are some advantages and disadvantages of self managed teams which are described below:
Advantages and disadvantages of self managed teams
Self-managed teams enjoy several benefits and advantages. These advantages may continue for a long time. In all organization, of self managed teams work well. In the following pointās advantages are mentioned:
Advantages of Self Managed Teams
- Flexibility: Self managed teams give more and improved flexibility of staff.
- Efficient operations: More efficient operations take place through the reduced number of job classification.
- Lower absenteeism: Organizations having self-managed teams experience lower absenteeism and turnover rates.
- High commitment: Self-managed teams gain high level of commitment.
- Minimum supervision: With minimum supervision organization can get better result and output.
- More discipline: Members of self-managed teams ensure disciplined life during operations.
- Improve productivity: Self-managed teams give high productivity by proper functioning.
- Less wastage: As self managed teams work according to set methods. So they can ensure minimum wastage.
If an organization can ensure self-managing teams, more benefits. Because self management teams do not wait for instruction for control measures. They decide themselves and work enthusiastically.
Disadvantages of Self Managed Teams
In contract, organizations having self managed teams face some disadvantage also. These disadvantages are discussed below:
- Extended time: Sometimes self-managed teams require extended time to complement plans and policies.
- High investment: High investment is required for skill development.
- Inefficiency: Due to job rotation organizations suffer from early inefficiencies.
- Employee inability: Some employees become unable to adapt to a team structure.
- Demand for equal treatment: Self-managed team members sometimes demand for equal treatment for their success.
- Recklessness: Due to better performance, self managed teams become reckless and show insubordination.
Self managed teams are powerful weapons for management. It should be maintained despite some disadvantages. Because it reduces the burden of supervision of superiors. If possible, by giving incentive packages, self-managed teams should be maintained.
Related Content of Team Building:
- What is the Meaning of Group?
- Difference between Team and Group
- Importance of Team for an Organization
- What are the Purposes of Effective Team Building for an Organization?
- Conditions for Successful Teams
- Twelve C s for Team Building
- Life Cycle of a Team
- Potential Team Problems that can Hinder Team Building and Running
- How to Build a Team for an Organization?
- Types of Teams in Organizations
- Self Managed Teams Definition
- Difference between Traditional Structure and Self managed Team Structure
- Gestalt Approach to Team Building
- Application of Gestalt Approach