Self-managed teams are most important for every kind of work but there are some advantages and disadvantages of self-managed teams which are described below:
Advantages and disadvantages of self-managed teams
Self-managed teams enjoy several benefits and advantages. These advantages may continue for a long time. In all organization, of self-managed teams work well. In the following point’s advantages are mentioned:
Advantages of Self Managed Teams
- Flexibility: Self-managed teams give more and improved the flexibility of staff.
- Efficient operations: More efficient operations take place through the reduced number of job classification.
- Lower absenteeism: Organizations having self-managed teams experience lower absenteeism and turnover rates.
- High commitment: Self-managed teams gain a high level of commitment.
- Minimum supervision: With minimum supervision, an organization can get better result and output.
- More discipline: Members of self-managed teams ensure disciplined life during operations.
- Improve productivity: Self-managed teams give high productivity to proper functioning.
- Less wastage: As self-managed teams work according to set methods. So they can ensure minimum wastage.
If an organization can ensure self-managing teams, more benefits. Because self-management teams do not wait for instruction for control measures. They decide themselves and work enthusiastically.
Disadvantages of Self Managed Teams
In contrast, organizations having self-managed teams face some disadvantage also. These disadvantages are discussed below:
- Extended time: Sometimes self-managed teams require extended time to complement plans and policies.
- High investment: High investment is required for skill development.
- Inefficiency: Due to job rotation organizations suffer from early inefficiencies.
- Employee inability: Some employees become unable to adapt to a team structure.
- Demand for equal treatment: Self-managed team members sometimes demand equal treatment for their success.
- Recklessness: Due to better performance, self-managed teams become reckless and show insubordination.
Self-managed teams are powerful weapons for management. It should be maintained despite some disadvantages. Because it reduces the burden of supervision of superiors. If possible, by giving incentive packages, self-managed teams should be maintained.
Related Content of Team Building:
- What is the Meaning of Group?
- Difference between Team and Group
- Importance of Team for an Organization
- What are the Purposes of Effective Team Building for an Organization?
- Conditions for Successful Teams
- Twelve Cs for Team Building
- Life Cycle of a Team
- Potential Team Problems that can Hinder Team Building and Be Running
- How to Build a Team for an Organization?
- Types of Teams in Organizations
- Self Managed Teams Definition
- Difference between Traditional Structure and Self-managed Team Structure
- Gestalt Approach to Team Building
- Application of Gestalt Approach