There are some potential team problems. These problems can hinder team building as well team running. A few problems may be seen while forming teams.
Similarly some problems may exist during the continuation of teams. However these team problems are discussed below:
- Lack of like-minded people: During forming stage, non availability of like- minded people can hamper the team. Due to lack of like-minded people team formation stage may be lengthy.
- Lack of similar expertise: Expertise level may be different among the team members. Dissimilar expertise level can create an adjustment problem and low production affects image of the teams.
- Difference in motivation level: Motivation level of team members can also hamper team formation and team work. Some demotivated people can discourage other imitating members.
- Different aspirations: Hopes and aspiration levels of all team members are not same. Due to this difference team spirit may be damaged.
- Mishandling of disputes: Disputes are supposed to be handled properly. If it is handled improperly dissatisfaction may be created among the team members.
- Unequal distribution of work: Workloads sometimes, may not be distributed equally. Even in usual cases, if it happens, some team members may use it for other purposes.
- Sense of deprivation: Some team members may have sense of deprivation either for usual or unusual cases. Whatever may be the reasons, teamĀ spirit may be affected.
- Corruption of team members: Very often some team members become involved with corruption. This can destroy the temperament of peace loving team members.
- Changing composition: Team building efforts may be affected if its composition changes. A good number of team members may object for such change. They can withdraw themselves from the team and shown on cooperation.
- Social Loafing: If team members become disappointed that their contributing in not properly measured, they may lessen their output and engage in social loafing. Thus team harmony on may be affected.
- Politicization: Politicization of team activities has become one of the main team problems in developing countries. That can create political ambition, hamper goal orientation and enter group relations.
- Lack of democracy: Most of the team members expect democratic practice within the team. If these ideals are violated, teams may be affected.
- Interpersonal conflict: For many reasons interpersonal relations may be hampered among team members. These causes include rigidity, bad behavior, wrongs supervision etc.
- Lack of goal orientation: It is not always true that all team members will be of same goal oriented. Degree of orientation may vary from member to member. Lack of proper goal orientation results low team spirit and less performance of employees.
Team problems are the headaches of both management and team leaders. Therefore both parties should try to resist these problems and protect the interest of teams.
Related Content of Team Building:
- What is the Meaning of Group?
- Difference between Team and Group
- Importance of Team for an Organization
- What are the Purposes of Effective Team Building for an Organization?
- Conditions for Successful Teams
- Twelve C s for Team Building
- Life Cycle of a Team
- How to Build a Team for an Organization?
- Types of Teams in Organizations
- Self Managed Teams Definition
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Self Managed Teams
- Difference between Traditional Structure and Self managed Team Structure
- Gestalt Approach to Team Building
- Application of Gestalt Approach