In common word meaning of group is fundamental and ubiquitous part of personal, organizational and social life. Man cannot live alone. They want to live in a group. They establish inter personal relations. The group may have common goal. For the attainment of that goal, group members work together.
History of human group is very ancient. From primitive age people started to live in a group because there are lots of advantages of group living. At present people create group for various purpose specially working in a group is very effective for business purposes.
After this brief discussion I think the topic ‘Group’ will be more clear if I provide some scholar definition. However, many scholars have defined the group as follows:
Meaning of Group
- According to Oxford Dictionary: A number of people or things that are located, gathered, or classed together: Example: ‘a group of boys approached’ ‘the bulbs should be planted in groups’
- Doubloon R. Forsyth: A group is defined as two or more individuals who are connected to one another by social relations.
- Wendell L. French: A group is a number of persons, usually reporting to a common superior and having some face to face interaction, who have some degree of interdependence in carrying out tasks for the purpose of achieving organizational goals.
Related Content of Team Building:
- Difference between Team and Group
- Importance of Team for an Organization
- What are the Purposes of Effective Team Building for an Organization?
- Conditions for Successful Teams
- Twelve C s for Team Building
- Life Cycle of a Team
- Potential Team Problems that can Hinder Team Building and Running
- How to Build a Team for an Organization?
- Types of Teams in Organizations
- Self Managed Teams Definition
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Self Managed Teams
- Difference between Traditional Structure and Self managed Team Structure
- Gestalt Approach to Team Building
- Application of Gestalt Approach