Michael Beer has given a list of means by adopting which one can gain political power. These means are classified into 6(six) types and this 6 advantages of gaining political power are as follows:
- Competence: Gained and demonstrated competence is the most important means of gaining power in a political environment.
- Political access and sensitivity: Cultivating and nurturing relationships with key political persons can increase the acceptability.
- Sponsorship: After getting sponsorships from single or multiple places OD groups can gain power.
- Stature and credibility: Successful and effective persons can gain power. And their success leads to stature and credibility.
- Resource Management: Power accrues to those who have control over resources. This can also solve the pressing problems.
- Groups support: An internally strong group is also strong externally. If the OD group is cohesive and free of internal dissension, it will gain more power.
Political power comes from popularity and is given by the supporters. If the power hunter is suitable, he gets power and enjoys that freely. Otherwise, very often he has to go to the voters and solicit their support politely.
Related Content of Organizational Politics:
- What is organizational politics definition
- Two Faces of Organizational Politics
- Pfeffer’s Model and Game Theories of Organizational Politics
- 8 Advantages or Importance of Organizational Politics
- 10 prime objectives of organizational politics
- 12 Characteristics of Organizational Politics
- Proposed Model of Organizational Politics to handle politics in organization
- 10 Conditions of Successful Organizational Politics
- 5 observations on operating in a political environment by French and Bell
- 7 Rules for political environment discussed by French and Bell
- Influence or relationship between Organizational Behavior and Politics
- Some prescriptions of Islam regarding organizational politics