Every organization follows a process in handling politics on the other hand, employees involve themselves with politics for the achievement of various purposes.
In the proposed model 12 variables are shown. Out of them environment influences both positive and negative faces of politics. The components of the model are discussed below:
Proposed model of organizational politics
- Background: The background of the persons to be involved in organizational politics should be strong. It may be his educational background, experience or political background.
- Job: They must get jobs in the organization. Outsiders cannot do well in an organizational politics. People within the organization get support of employees.
- Legitimate Power: Organizational politicians must get legitimate power after selection election. They should use their power for fair purposes also. More legitimate power makes them strong.
- Illegitimate Power: Sometimes people are earning illegitimate power. That is they do not adopt fair means. Propagation, misrepresentation, threat of Hartal or strike etc. are the popular ways of such power. A good number of people involve themselves intestinally in politics. This intentional act drives them to march forward too much courage and expectation.
- Unintentional Power: Due to some circumstances some leaders are bound to be leader or involve themselves with politics. Lack of qualified and interested persons. These potential persons are called on to be involved.
- Sanctioned Power: According to organizational rules and laws some sort of power are sanctioned to the politicians. Sanctioned power makes them strong to do or not to do something.
- Non-sanctioned Power: Some people gain power and authority for these mental and emotional strengths. Though they do not get power, but they do many things at their own by taking initiatives.
- Environment: Favorable environment makes politics fair and dynamic and unfavorable environment hampers the politics. Both management and employees can ensure good environment.
- Positive Face: Organizational politics has positive face. Politicians act positively, gain more things, acts fairly and thus can increase popularity. Thus environment becomes more congenial.
- Negative Face: Some people behave negatively, act unfairly, pressurize management for more favor etc. For exploiting the organization this type of power and authority are used.
- Achievement of goal: Whatever may be the means of doing politics, positive or negative, ultimate goal should be to achieve expected results. Other-wise organizational discipline may be hampered.
- Indiscipline: If the politicians adopt unfair means to mobilize the things all along organization as well as people may be affected and indiscipline may be created.
These are the components of the proposed model of organizational politics. Any organization can follow this model to ensure fairness in the organizational politics.
Related Content of Organizational Politics:
- What is organizational politics definition
- Two Faces of Organizational Politics
- Pfeffer’s Model and Game Theories of Organizational Politics
- 8 Advantages or Importance of Organizational Politics
- 10 prime objectives of organizational politics
- 12 Characteristics of Organizational Politics
- 10 Conditions of Successful Organizational Politics
- 5 observations on operating in a political environment by French and Bell
- 7 Rules for political environment discussed by French and Bell
- Means of Gaining Political Power
- Influence or relationship between Organizational Behavior and Politics
- Some prescriptions of Islam regarding organizational politics