We know that politics has both positive and negative impact on an organization. That is why it has two faces. It can either be used for gaining some benefits or it can destroy the good deeds. Let’s know the two faces of organizational politics.
If political power is used to gain more effort for the organization that is positive. On the other hand, negative politics can not ensure discipline. These two faces of organizational politics are briefly discussed below:
Two faces of organizational politics
Positive Face of Politics
It is related to organizational expectation. By using this one both organization and its employees may be benefited. For the time being it may be costly for the organization or for its employees. But in the long run, it goes for the interest of the organization.
Positive face is characterized by a balanced pursuit of self-interest and the interests of others: viewing situations in win-win terms as much as possible; engaging in open problem solving followed by action and influencing; a realities absence of the tactics of fighting; and a socialized need to lead, initiate and influence others.
Negative Face of Politics
This is usually expected the face of politics. This politics is characterized by the extreme pursuit of self-interest and unsocial zed needs to dominate others. It is a tendency to view situations in win-lose terms rather than win-win terms.
It is the predominant use of the tactics of fighting-secrecy, surprise, holding hidden agendas, withholding information and deceiving. By using the negative face of power, in most of the cases, some people may gain benefits but organizations interests are generally hampered.
In an organization, other positive and negative face of politics may be seen. In Bangladesh, organizations in the public sector have mostly negative faces-that has affected both employees and organization.
Related Content of Organizational Politics:
- What is organizational politics definition
- Pfeffer’s Model and Game Theories of Organizational Politics
- 8 Advantages or Importance of Organizational Politics
- 10 prime objectives of organizational politics
- 12 Characteristics of Organizational Politics
- Proposed Model of Organizational Politics to handle politics in organization
- 10 Conditions of Successful Organizational Politics
- 5 observations on operating in a political environment by French and Bell
- 7 Rules for political environment discussed by French and Bell
- Means of Gaining Political Power
- Influence or relationship between Organizational Behavior and Politics
- Some prescriptions of Islam regarding organizational politics