Good leadership skills is the essential thing to be a good leader so, we discuss here some leadership skills which are essential for a good leader.
Good leadership skills
There is some basic trait or set of traits existed that differential leaders from non-leaders. Researchers thought that leadership traits might include:
- Above-average height
- Good vocabulary
- Similar attributes
- LPC theory
- Life cycle theory ]Path goal theory
Contingency or situational approach
- Positive and negative leaders
- Autocratic, consultative and participative
- Substitutes and enhancers
- Self and Super leadership
Traits Approach to Leadership
Successful leadership depends more on appropriate skills, action, and personal traits.
- Technical skill
- Human skill
- Conceptual skill
These are discussed below:
- Technical Skill: Technical skill refers to a person’s knowledge of ability in any type of process or technique.. Examples: Skills learned by accountants, Engineers, Word processing operators, toolmakers. Technical skill is the distinguishing feature of job performance at e operation and professional levels, but as employees are promoted to leadership responsibilities, their technical skills become proportionately less important. Managers increasingly depend on the technical skills of their subordinates in many cases they have never practiced some of the technical skills that they supervise.
- Human Skill: Human skill is the ability to work effectively with people and to build teamwork. No leader at any organizational level escapes the requirement for effective human skill. It is a major part of leadership behavior. Lack of human skills has been the downfall of many mangers and CEOs.
- Conceptual Skill: Conceptual skill is the ability to think is terms of models, frameworks, and broad relationships, such as long-range plans. It becomes increasingly important in higher managerial jobs. Conceptual skill deals with ideas, whereas human skill concerns people and technical skill involves things. Analysis good leadership skills help explain why outstanding department heads sometimes make poor vice presidents, They may to be using the proper mixture of skills required for the higher-level job, particularly additional conceptual skill.
Situational Aspects of Leadership
Successful leadership requires behavior that unites and stimulates followers toward defined objectives in specific situations. All three elements are- Leader, Followers and Situation. These variables affect one another in determining appropriate leadership behavior.
Leader: Skilful performance in current roles unlocks the door t future leadership opportunities. By contrast, many people fail in their jobs not as a result of any skill deficiencies, but because they lack followership skills. These skills help employees support their current leader and be effective subordinates
- Good leaders should never forget what it is like in the trenches. Many effective leaders remind themselves to the importance of follower ship roles by periodically spending time visiting their stores, working a shift in a plant, and doing other things remain in contact with first-level employees.
Follower: With a few exceptions, leaders in organizations are also followers. They nearly always report to someone else. Even the president of a public firm or non-profit organization
Leaders give something to their superiors and employees; they need validation from higher authority as much as they need support from followers. In formal organizations of several levels, ability to follow (dynamic sub-ordinances) one of the first requirements for good leadership.
Being an effective follower is a smart ground for future leaders, a place where employees are closely observed to see if they exhibit potential for leadership. Followership behavior includes the following:
- Not competing with the leader to be in the limelight
- Being loyal and supportive, a team player
- Not being a “yes person” who automatically agrees
- Acting as a devil’s advocate by raising penetrating questions
- Constructively confronting the leader’s ideas, values, and actions
- Anticipating potential problems and preventing them
- Good followers need to succeed at their own jobs while helping their managers succeed at theirs. At the same time, effective subordinates can also prepare themselves for promotion by developing their conceptual and good leadership skills.
Situation: It is evident that leadership is situational. In one situation, action “A” may be the best cluster of leadership acts, but in the next situation, action “b” will be best.
An organization’s leaders fit a standard pattern will suppress creative differences and result in inefficiency as well, because many square pegs will be trying to fit into round holes. Leadership is part of a complex system, so there is no simple way to answer the question, what makes a good leader?
Sometimes, leaders must resist the temptation to be visible in a situation. even though good leadership involves a set of behaviors, it should not be confused with mere activity when activity is not needed. Aggressiveness and constant interaction with others will not guarantee good leadership.
At times the appropriate leadership action is to stay in the background keep in pressures off the group, to keep quiet so that others may talk, to be calm in times of chaos, to hesitate purposefully, and to lay decisions.
At other times a leader must be more:
The key task for a leader is to recognize different situations and adapt to them on a conscious basis.
Related Content of Leadership:
- Characteristics of Effective Leadership
- 9 Most Important Functions of Leadership
- Styles of a Leader
- Circumstances Which Make a Leader Ineffective?
- Two Most Important Keys to Effective Leadership
- Contribution of Management in Developing Leadership
- What Circumstances Situation Can Make a Person Leader?
- Nature and Characteristics of a Good Leader
- Role of Government to Leadership Development
- Roles of Management for Leadership Development
- Roles of Parents in Leadership Development
- Roles of Trade Unions in Leadership Development
- Role of Social Elites in Leadership Development
- Persons Responsible for Shortage of Good Leadership
- Prospects of Leadership
- How Can we Create a Good Leaders in Organizations?