Nothing is free from obstacles. SHRM also suffers from some barriers. These barriers are related to mentality, strategy and outcomes Barriers are classified into seven main types. All these barriers to strategic human resource management are briefly discussed below:
Barriers to strategic human resource management
- Short term mentality: Short-term mentality and focus on the current performance of SFIRM is the first barrier. Every manager act, long-term focus, because the organization has been established with long-terms objectives/focus.
- Strategic inability: Very often SHRM does not think strategically and he cannot think it to due in capability. This type of inability may arise for many reasons as lack of technical knowledge, insufficient training and the like.
- Lack of appreciation: Sometimes top managers do not recognize the activities of strategic human resource management. So SHR manager does not get interested in doing any innovative venture. A few appreciations may get them a substantial mental boost up.
- Failure understands role: General managerial roles may not be fully understood by be managers. This failure is due to lack of knowledge about the specialty of a degree of responsibility. This failure may create distance between these managers.
- Difficulty in quantifying outcomes: Many outcomes may not be quantified. But SHRM tries to enjoy the contribution. This is not always possible. Participation, work etc. type function cannot be quantified because of their intangibility.
- Wong perception on human assets: Investment in human assets may be regarded as high risk than that of technology and information. Though these technologies are run by the human resources. This wrong perception may inhibit the progress.
- Resistance: SHR Managers may be resisted because of the incentives for change that might arise. The change implemented demand some incentives for efforts to execute the changed program. If these incentives are not given reasonable, they may create barriers SHRM.
In addition to these barriers, there may be other points also. As for example, lack of union support, government backing, and weak financial position of the company can act as bathers to SHR management.
You May Like Also:
- Causes of inefficiency of strategic human resource management
- Need for High-Level Values of SHRM in Business Organizations
- Importance of strategic human resource management
- Objectives of strategic human resource management
- Proposed model for strategic human resource management
- Advantages of success of strategic human resource management
- Problems of strategic human resource management
- Factors Determining the Efficiency of SHRM
- Nature of Strategic Human Resource Management Practices
- Principal Task of Strategic Human Resources Management
- Importance of environment for strategic human resource management
- Management Guidelines for strategic human resource management
- 5 Ps of Strategic Human Resource Management
- Process of Strategic Human Resource Management
- 13 Models of Strategic Human Resource Management
- 6 Characteristics of Strategic Human Resource Management
- Job analysis strategic choices for human resource management