What qualities a leader has, is subject to differences of opinion among distinguished thinkers. Characteristics of effective leadership as given by various thinkers are given in the table below:-
Characteristics of effective leadership
Qualities of leader
|1||F.M. Viscount Shim||
|4||Chester I. Bernard||
Broadly we may group these qualities in the following four categories:-
- Physical qualities
- Sound health: Sound health is necessary for every human but a leader must have sound health so that he can concentrate on his work fully. This is one of the most important physical qualities of a leader.
- Vitality and endurance: Any man can not succeed without vitality and endurance. Most of the time a leader struggle with his demand so vitality and endurance are essential for a good leader.
- Psychological qualities
- Personal Magnetism: A leader should have the ability to attract people by his personality. I think this is one of the greatest important characteristics of effective leadership. Anyone can’t avoid the necessity of personal magnetism.
- Enthusiasm: A leader should be much enthusiastic because he should start the work and he wants to be a pioneer so, without enthusiasm, one can not be a good leader.
- Co-operation: Everyone expects co-operation from a leader. Without a cooperative mentality, one can not get popularity as a leader. So, this is another essential psychological qualities of a leader.
- Ability to inspire
- Intellectual Traits
- A high degree of intelligence
- An open mind
- A capacity for sound judgment
- An ability to teach
- A scientific Approach
- Qualities of character
- Fair play
- Willingness to accept responsibility
- Physical & moral courage
Related Content of Leadership:
- Some Essential Leadership Skills to be a Good Leader
- 9 Most Important Functions of Leadership
- Styles of a Leader
- Circumstances Which Make a Leader Ineffective?
- Two Most Important Keys to Effective Leadership
- Contribution of Management in Developing Leadership
- What Circumstances Situation Can Make a Person Leader?
- Nature and Characteristics of a Good Leader
- Role of Government to Leadership Development
- Roles of Management for Leadership Development
- Roles of Parents in Leadership Development
- Roles of Trade Unions in Leadership Development
- Role of Social Elites in Leadership Development
- Persons Responsible for the Shortage of Good Leadership
- Prospects of Leadership
- How Can We Create Good Leaders in Organizations?